Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wildlife

Also thought I'd mention something about wildlife which has been non-existent thus far.  I would suspect that once I get into the Smokies, we'll probably be seeing at least a fair amount of bear activity, but thus far, there's only been one bear sighting by Brett of the Mark and Brett team and that's been actually unconfirmed.  I have not seen anything.  All I've seen is a few birds, saw a mouse scurry across my tent, and no mammals to speak of, so it's kind of been lame in that regard at this point, which is probably okay.  Don't really care to have a raccoon or porcupine chewing on my pack or my tent at this point.  There's going to be plenty of opportunity along the way for that to happen.  I was in fact hoping that I was going to be able to see a bear or two along the way.  I think once I get into the Smokies, which is in the next couple days, we'll probably see a lot of that.  I'm not looking forward to the Smokies in one respect because you're required to stay in the shelters if there's space available, and the shelters are caged to protect you from the bears.  So that seems kind of weird, but in terms of wildlife, not much there.  I have been talking and whistling to the the birds but that's about it.  Actually some pretty interesting owls in the morning.

Dictation made on 3/22/2011 7:58 AM EST.

4 comments:

  1. Boy,I take a few days off from reading your blog, and a lot has happened! Glad to hear your legs are feeling strong and it appears you have gotten into a nice rhythm. Sounds like a bunch of interesting folks on the trail, all with their own stories.
    Checked the weather in your neck of the woods, and it looked decent, so hopefully the weather gods will continue to shine on you. Take care of yourself, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Very few animals early on. I did not see a Deer untill I was well into VA. Saw my first bear not long after that. You will see it all in the Shennies. No hunting. Almost tame there. No sightings I can rember of anything around the size of a bread box before New England. Wild Turkeys had a way of surprising me though! -Bird-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Don! Been following your blog and your progress. What an amazing trek! The technology that you are utilizing to keep in touch with everyone is amazing. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Don,in the last week 13 doe, 1 buck, a fox and a mole have all scurried through my yard (Seriously!)

    Great blog..I just caught up with it. I never knew how intense and what a passion people have for this..really amazing! Stay safe as you head into bear country.

    ~Mary Robyn

    ReplyDelete