Thursday, March 31, 2011

Old Man in Tough Shape on Trail

On our way out of Gatlinburg at New Found Gap I ran into a man in his 60s that was wearing a poncho and carrying and space blanket coming down the mountain. I said good morning to him and he completely ignored me. Up the path I noticed a daypack on the side of the trail and then further up an umbrella. About a mile later, bumped into a Ridge Runner (Ranger) that was tearing down the hill. Turns out this old man was lost on the trail and spent the night in the horrific rain and was suffering badly from hypothermia. Explains his response to me - and some of the other thru-hikers that tried to strike up a conversation with him. Hope he made it off the mountain okay!

My trip up the mountain was uneventful...very rocky and realized that I was over due for my new boots. Should have them delivered to me in Hot Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment