Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 5 - Gang Bails at Hiawassee - Thank God!

We decided last night that it might be good to do an overnight in town...a 11 mile hike on the trail.  This was fine with me, making for an easier day.

Night before (last night) started to rain at about 3:30 am...very steady and hard.  Tent remained in tact - no collapse - and got about 3 tablespoons of water in...not bad!  Hoping rain would stop...but didn't so got up at about 8:00 am, scrambled to keep everything dry...collapsed the tent - very soggy, rolled it up, strapped it on my pack...put my rain gear on and was on my way in the rain at about 9:05.  Was not the first one out this time...and I took my time in the rain...even stopped at a shelter midway to have lunch (my summer sausage and Starbucks coffee!).  That really charged me up!  Hooked up with Dave along the way and we kept trading places.  A great and quiet guy from Portland, OR.

Ended up making pretty good time considering the rain - fell on my butt for the first time.  Got to the highway at about 3:00 pm with Dave, stuck out our thumbs and a guy in a pickup truck pulled over.  We threw our packs in the back and jumped in the back with him and he drove us to Blueberry Patch - a hiker hostel.  Caught up with the gang - but was full.  Owner drove Dave and I into town - I checked in at the Holiday Inn - best place in town for $79.00.  Had dinner with the group at Dave's Steakhous - a pretty bad all you can eat place but it tasted great.  Later tonight went to a BBQ place to get a sandwich and Fosters.

Plan to play it by ear tomorrow depending on weather and blisters.

All for now...have to get off the computer.

Thanks for comments, etc...and THANKS CAROLYN for keeping track of me as I call in!

1 comment:

  1. We stayed at the same place. Enjoy it! That is the cleanest freshest place you will sleep for the next several months. I still remember it fondly. On site laundry too. We ate at the same place can't say much for it either. Don't miss the view from Standing Indian. Have to take a side trail. One of many peaks in the South where the trail stops short of the top. You are flying up the trail! -Bird-

    ReplyDelete