Tuesday, March 22, 2011

more update from 12 day

Anyway, after I was able to connect with Carolyn on Siler Bald, I bumped into Cayenne who is an interesting African American woman probably in her mid-30's, and is making her second journey on the trail. Orininally from California now living in Pennsylvania. We hiked a little bit together and climbed up to a fire tower which was really interesting. When I got to my next planned overnight stop, I decided to push on as it was not very inviting.  It was a log cabin, not stone, shelter, which was mostly taken over by a large and rather odd family.  So I decided to press on to Wesser Bald Shelter (making for a 19 mile day) and was very happy I did because I bumped into a lot of old friends there and had a great evening around a campfire, even if I did feel kind of like a fifth wheel around the young folks.  The next morning I got up early before the sun rose and headed down to the Nantahala outdoor center (NOC) and was able to have a big breakfast there by 9:30.  Had pancakes, sausage and eggs. Had a big lunch with a big huge cheese burger and fries and then split a pizza last night, so just consumed a tremendous amount of food here in preparation for the long climb ahead this morning. That big family from the Cold Springs Shelter has come to town now so I'm glad I'm moving on.  All I'm looking to do today is get about six miles in, so I'll have a good breakfast here at the center and then begin my hike at about 10:00 this morning and then shoot for Fontana Dam in about three days which is really the beginning of the Smokies, kind of an intimidating prospect for me. Had some huge milestones this week.

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great. You're ahead of where Jay was in this many days. I'm really enjoying following your adventure. Keep it up - you'll find your groove.

    ReplyDelete