Thursday, March 31, 2011

Standing Bear - Classic TN Character

If you ever want to get a real taste of backwoods TN, then Standing Bear is the place to be. This is the place I stayed overnight in as I bailed out of the Smokies. It's known for a good place to overnight and resupply on your way to Hot Springs.

The facilities are what you might envision seeing in the woods of the Appalachia, weathered quite nicely. There was an outbuilding for everything: even had a computer room in what appeared to be an old privy; the "kitchen" was an old beatup shed and the laundry consisted of an old washboard. I upgraded from the bunkhouse to a cabin which had two beds with four blankets on each bed that was considered the "heat". I can assure you that this is not a place that Carolyn and I would have had a romantic get away at.

The most interesting part of the experience was the people. Several of the folks seemed to come right out of the woods and seemed to be there because it was a discreet place to lay low. These folks could have used some serious dental work! Anyway, it was quite and experience and one that I am pleased that I came out of it alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment