Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Zip Line Just a Tad Too Low in Raging River - Butt Gets Soaked

One of the great experiences of the trail along here is to stop by the "Captain's" to have a visit with him and his dogs.  Only problem: you have to cross a pretty large stream to get there.  The Captain has been kind enough to put up a zipline across it that normally keeps you safe and dry and just happens to be a blast.

Fire Fly and I were the first out of Pine Swamp Branch Shelter after the huge storm the night before and scaled down to what is now the "river's edge" to the zip line.  The water was wild, deep and fast.  At that point we didn't know that the river was 3 feet higher than normal due to the rains the night before.  I got on the zipline (scared to death, but that's not the point), started heading over only to discover that my butt and boots didn't quite clear the river.  Fire Fly was kind enough to reel me back as I was stuck in the middle trying to stay dry. 

We initially decided to give it up but after encouraging Fire Fly to at least sit on it to give it a try, before you knew it she was not only sitting on the bench, but zipped right over to the other side.  I had no choice but to follow; took off my boots, got rid of camera, etc., crossed my fingers and zipped across without losing my life.

Had a great visit with the Captain, a soda and zipped back soaking my butt once again but it was well worth the experience.

Heard yesterday that Nero had a completely different experience the next day...found another cable across the river, thinking it was the Captain's.  Guess there was no bench so he was encouraged by Cayenne to cross by latching his legs over the cable and going hand over hand across the still-raging-river.  Guess Sho Fly was none too happy about it but he survived just the same.  Had to hike a way to finally get to Captains as the others found the real - and safer zipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment