Monday, May 23, 2011

Remnants of the Civil War?

Making the last leg out of Virginia and into Harper's Ferry we saw some very interesting stuff in the woods.  I am not sure whether the rock walls were fortifications from the Civil War or whether they may have been property lines from old farms...certainly worth learning more about.

We also came across some very old trenches in the woods with rocks stacked on the top.  It seems to me that these must be old trenches from the Civil War because the area that we were end clearly played a big role in the war.  I remember growing up just north of Atlanta and finding these same deep trenches in the woods.  Back then, we were convinced they were from the Civil War and used them in that manner.  As a matter of fact, I have a scar on my face due to a fall in such a trench and landing on the blade of a shovel - nearly taking out my eye when I was 9 years old.  My mom was none too happy about it - blood all over the place, but I believed myself to be a wounded rebel and was proud of my accomplishment.

I would love to come back to this area and do some day hikes with my son to better understand the history and attempt to see some of the remains of it all up close and personal.  I suspect we will see more of this as we head into PA.

Crank

No comments:

Post a Comment