Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mile 800 Mark Surpassed Today! Mental and Physical Health Update Also

The Dutch Haus is a mile 814.9 so we surpassed the 800 mile mark today along the way - nice milestone - but the big one is to Harper's Ferry at the 1015 mile mark.  200 miles to go to take a couple of zeros to come home for a couple of days. 

On the health front, physically feeling pretty darn good...feet look like a mess but they are actually holding up pretty good after swapping out my boots in Detroit - same brand - just one full shoe size up.  Constant aches and pains but nothing that is getting in the way of getting the job done.  There are a few that are having to get off the trail to nurse injuries and wonder whether some have dropped from the trail because we don't see them in the shelter journals.  Anway, physcially ok.

Mentally I am in just a tiny funk and I think it's related to the fact that I set such a substantial goal to get to Harper's Ferry that it's kind of getting to me.  So I decided today that I am going to focus day to day and not worry about a specific date.  Seems like it helped today.  The other thing is that I changed out to a lighter weight pack - with less support.  So it's sort of like starting all over again...trying to get the adjustments just right.  It's been killing my shoulders so I can see that the support is less and I am going to have to build up my muscles.

Good news - weighed myself here at Dutch Haus - staying at 168 lbs - 15 lbs less than when I started - at least it has stablized since I started force feeding myself with everything I can.

All for now...PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS AND ENCOURAGEMENT COMING - HELPS ALOT!

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes a hard time table is a welcome challenge sometimes it "puts you in a funk". When this is the case it means it is time to slow it down. I was in a race for the half way point too. I wound up slowing down, relaxing and meeting my goal anyway. Slack packing in the Shennies! Travel options sort of force it sometimes I know. Getting to the half-way point only means you have only gone half way. You have pleanty of time. At this date last year I was just leaving Fontana Village. I was not to the PA. line untill July 3rd. (goal was Harpers by the 4th) I only pushed so hard because I started so late and then I could not stop the pace. At your current pace all you have to look foward to is Black fly season! I never saw one. The miles will come! Time will pass and you will usually find yourself round about where you need to be when you need to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. When I dropped my winter gear I tried my favorite weekend pack. A pound lighter true, but I was too used to the comfort and support of my 60 liter and carried it all the way often, half full. It was just too comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Don - this is Deb (Bird's wife). You are doing an amazing job!!! You deserve a few zero days, and time with the family will be a welcome break. I'm tracking your hike vs Jay's last year and you continue to be on EXACTLY the same pace. So, hopefully it can ease your mind slightly to know that at that pace, you'll get to Harper's Ferry on the 18th! A day earlier than needed. Jay pushed hard in this section because I was meeting him there, so you should be able to continue at your reasonable (yet still strong) pace and make it in time. Harper's Ferry is going to be one of the easiest places on the trail to get to a major airport to fly home, so take advantage! You're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are moving along on pace. You are not missing anything in Shorewood, just the usual stuff. It is slowly starting to get warm, and the lawns need to be mowed, but nothing else worth mentioning.
    Take care,
    Nomad and Dancing Queen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don,
    Easy for me to say, but what's 200 when you already have 800. Step by Step, Day by Day. WOW!
    And thank you for your updates too.

    Happy Hiking
    Battlecats mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! I know you haven't posted it yet but way to make it past the 900 mile mark! All my friends at school have been really impressed with your progress. Can't wait to see you this weekend. School is starting to wind down and I got my 15 page research paper in. Two more papers and a few finals to go, we will push through together!

    Love,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Don! Love reading about your progress...you are an inspiration to Steve, who is already trying to figure out when he can do his own AT trek!
    Much love from Portland!
    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don, I'm living vicariously and I'm still tired, dirty and aching. I Love reading the udates and following your progress. Keep up the great hike and the great writing! Coach Phil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don
    I am so impressed and amazed! It makes me believe I could push through and achieve some of my lofty goals too! Keep up the great work, I'm sure you are excited for a break to see the family.
    Love you brother!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don, We're really enjoying following you and so proud! Think the "day by day" approach is a good one - it's all about "being in the moment" and appreciating where you are right now. Love you. Barb and John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey everyone...thanks much for your comments and encouragement! It's a tremendous help. I just wish I could respond more frequently.

    Bird - thanks as always re: your input...just got through the roller coaster before Bear's Den - it IS EXHAUSTING!! It beat me up big time, especially all the rocks and river crossings because of all the flooding!

    Debbie - thanks for your support as well - feels great to get support from someone who can compare my trek to Bird's.

    Ben - you know how much it means for me to hear from you - I hope I don't scare your friends when I come in to town in a couple of days!

    Charity - what a nice surprise to hear from you - thanks much - STEVE SHOULD JOIN ME WHEN I AM UP NORTH - you can visit where you use to live!

    Phil - didn't know you were on...thanks for the encouragement - and yes, will get back to creative writing!

    Nomad and Dancing Queen - can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

    Becky and Barb - nothing better than getting encouraging words from my sisters - it means a tone to me!

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete