Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fire Fly's Wings Clipped by PA's Rocky Trail

I have had my fair share of head bashes, face plants, but Fire Fly has been steady on her feet for 1,200 miles...until the other day as we were decending down a steep and very rocky incline into Duncannon.

We were about 50 yards from the trail head, having to navigate around a small tree surrounded by boulders used like ill placed stepping stones. Swinging around the tree, Fire Fly's shoe must have caught an edge of one of these stupid point rocks because before I knew it she was falling downward into the rocks, bouncing down the sloop. Fortunately she ended up on her back and her pack took much of the impact. Otherwise it could have been a trail ender for her (Twigs lost his front teeth in a similar crash).

Final result: a badly gouged and bruised hip, elbows beat up and black and blue bruises in places where you might expect...but still on the trail. A major wake up call as to how quickly things can change on you.

My problem on this hike has been less about my ankles (my poles seem to be saving me more than my boots)and more about crashing my toe into rocks due to the weight of my boots. Therefore I purchased a pair of trail runners yesterday to see if that will help. Shepherd says that a pound on your foot is equal to 5 pounds in your pack. Will let you know how it goes.

It was a trail ending fall bu

No comments:

Post a Comment