Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Deadman Still Walking

So I have heard about this 68 year old man but thought he was long gone. The other day Fire Fly and I were toward the end of a difficult day dark in the rocky woods of PA. Up ahead we saw what appeared to be an old stooped man walking slowly with his head down. We approached him cautiously and as he looked up at us you would have sworn we just found our grim reaper. He has big droopy eyes that can scare the heck out of you.

Turns out that this is Deadman...a great man with tremendous strength and fortitude. I don't have time to tell the whole story but he began his hike on March 7th - right in the middle of the horrific storms I just missed when I began my hike. He was a top candidate to bite the bullet from hypothermia after two days with little protection. When he finally made it to Neels Gap he passed out in a bunk and Pirate thought for sure he was a deadman (hence the name).

I had very little time with him and it was cool to see Padre partner up with him - two very fine men I hope to spend more time with on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment