Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Seasoned Thru-Hiker Makes Grand Entrance

The hut network of New Hampshire affords the opportunity for day hikers and weekenders to experience the Whites with relative ease and comfort. The most popular hut is Lake of the Clouds, in a valley below Mount Washington. The hut supports 93 for $95 a night, which includes a bunk, dinner and breakfast. Generally speaking, thru-hikers are treated by staff as second class citizens but the tourists are fascinated by us.

We thought we would stop at the hut to get water and to take a break before our summit of Mt. Washington. Hiking in and out of the huts are challenging because of all of the people...this one in particular because there were several dozen people milling about waiting for a tour or something like that to begin.

Now thru-hikers tend to have an aura of confidence about them as they enter such a place, striding with great confidence with poles in hands and pack on back. The crowds naturally part way in awe of watching a thru-hiker in action.

Crankdaddy is feeling at the top of his game as the novice day hikers make way so this seasoned thru-hiker can get to the hut, take care of business and continue his important journey North. As I was in the thick of the crowd right in front of the door some evil spirit came up from the depths of the mountain, grabed my ankle, and made me do a complete and total face plant. Totally humiliated, as my fellow thru-hikers quickly separated themselves from me, I picked myself up and boldly stated that was my first fall in over 1,800 miles. Hearing a few giggles in the crowd I knew I was just a poser and shuffled away into the hut to lick my wounds.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience as I crossed the stream/falls right before Zealand hut. Slipped and fell right in the water as I attempted to strut past the "tourists" like a Banty rooster. I really was feeling proud and it was like the ground was just taken from beneth me. Ahh... thru hiker hubris! Leads to broken bones and wounded pride. Three men walk into a bar. How can you tell which one is a Thru-hiker? Give him a minuite....He'll tell ya! Don't worry. As you can see, the trail has a way of keeping one in check. If you don't crawl sometimes in Maine, you will wind up on your ass. Either way... Maine will put you on your ass.

    ReplyDelete