Sunday, July 31, 2011

Crankdaddy Jams Gears; Results in Major Rock Rash & Stitches

Had no problem making my way through the Mahoosuc Notch, what some say is the hardest part of the AT; had no problem with the "arm" on my way up and over Old Spec.  But coming down the mountain the next morning I found myself flat on my back with a sickening feeling that I might be in trouble.

Assess the damage and find that I'm not in too bad of shape; falls are standard fair going down the steep and rocky trails through New Hampshire and Maine - especially when wet.  Find that my left leg and left forearm has a fair amount of rock rash but then notice that there was something fleshy and white sticking out of my arm.  Determined that I got a little bit more than just rock rash, seem to have a gash as well.  Not big, no big deal I think.

Firefly hovered around me as I assessed the damage and quickly concluded it was time for the first aid bag.  Rips everything out of my pack because it's at the very bottom, only to find that everything in the first aid kit is soaked thanks to a water problem I had earlier in the morning.  Soggy first aid pads and tape not much good, Firefly rips everything out of her pack to find her kit.  She finds a dry pad and some tape, grabs my arm and before you know it has everything wrapped up looking good.  I'm thinking I am good to go; she's thinking this is a temporary fix and we need to get to a medical clinic.  We debate this issue as we head down to the bottom of the mountain (Rocket Rick kept going because he didn't hear what was going on).

Down at the bottom of Old Spec, Firefly just happens to notice a woman who has a look of an EMT.  Happens to specialize as an EMT for trail injuries.  Firefly brings her over, along with a large bag of goodies. I take the bandage off and the EMT, Britney, quickly concludes that I need more medical attention to prevent infection, etc.(Firefly wins the debate).  As Britney concludes this, two women hikers pass by and ask me if I need a ride into town...can take two of us in their car but will have to come back for the third (about 20 miles each way).  We take them up on their wonderful offer and show up at a medical clinic 15 minutes after closing; just happen to still be open and a very pleasant PA agrees to treat me.  Insurance forms completed, I go in, get cleaned and stitched up and am out the door by the time Rocket Rick is dropped off by the two ladies who were kind enough to make two round trips (one happens to be the LaCrosse coach for Bowdoin). We have beers and burgers at a great pub in Bethel, call for a shuttle and are relaxing on the porch of a hostel in Andover by 5:00 pm. Life is good again.

Long story even longer: small mishap but quickly resolved thanks to to amazing trail magic and angels!  We were planning for a long/short day, ended up doing a short/long day and did not lose any time.

We are in Andover, ME with about 256 miles to go...will go a bit more slowly...

3 comments:

  1. Don - glad to hear the fall wasn't worse. Be careful those last 256 miles. I did the Mahoosuc Notch in 1985 at age 24 and it was tough even then. Glad you got through it fine.

    I am counting on you to finish the trek -- I mailed today my check to the MSO to fulfill my pledge for your hike.

    Hey other readers of Don's blog -- how about a donation to the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra in honor of the intrepid Mr. Tyler (or should I say Crank)? We are closing our fiscal year on August 31 and a bunch of us have pledged __ cents per mile of Don's little walk in the woods.

    Don - we are looking forward to seeing you back in Milwaukee in a few weeks.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, you continue to amaze me but I just read today that woman set the record finishing the trail in 46 days; avg of 47 miles/day! Did you see her??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kung Pao Chicken taught you how to take a fall well! glad you are back to vertical, Don.

    - Mac

    ReplyDelete