Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hanover is an upscale community serving the needs of Dartmouth College, students, staff, parents, tourists, etc.  While it attempts to be hiker friendly it is a very expensive place for thru-hikers to stay.  We had heard about a lady who opened up her home to hikers - and would even pick us up.  We decided to give her a call. This little call ended up giving us one of our most interesting hostel experiences on the trail.

The first tip we were in trouble was when we hopped into the back seat of her car and noticed dog hair everywhere; the second tip was her painful effort to mimic our accents from Wisconsin, Ohio and New York.  We quickly realized that we were in a car heading into the woods with a woman who may be good intentioned but slightly off-centered.  She then began to tell us that we can stay either in the tepee or tank - our choice.  Not understanding what she meant, as she pulled into her driveway she pointed out an old and moldy car camper that clearly has not moved in at least ten years (tank) and a popup trailer tent (teepee) sitting at an angle.  This, along with her basement, was to be our home for the evening.  I guess we will almost do anything for a shower!

As we entered her house we realized why her car was layered with dog hair.  The smell hit us about two seconds before four dogs attacked us at the entry way.  As they were jumping on us we made our way into the basement and found a couch squeezed in between all sorts of boxes, equipment and wierd stuff.  This would be our lounge area...of course, smelling like dog.  Anything for a shower!

I made my way to the "tank", my abode for the evening, comtemplating whether I should place my tent drop cloth between the camper bed and my sleeping bag.  I decided to take a chance and do with out.  Coming back to the house I met Rocket Rick as he was heading to his teepee.  He made some comment about the basement smelling more and more like dog.  As I walked into the basement to use the bathroom I concluded the same and quickly realized why.  There on the floor was something a dog likes to do sometimes when they are angry with their owners.  She warned us of this possibility but I thought she was joking.  At that point I was more than happy to be sleeping outside in the "tank" where I only had to fight off mice and hope there were no fleas or bed bugs.

We got up the next morning, she drove us into Hanover, gave us a big hug and sent us on our way with memories of a life time!



not have all

No comments:

Post a Comment