Thursday, July 7, 2011

Is it Legal Hitch Hiking for a Ride on a Party Barge?

We were all settling in after a swim in the lake a beautiful shelter on Upper Goose Pond in MA when we watch a party barge maneuver toward our dock.  This is not a common episode given the fact that the shelter is tucked deep into the woods and there are few boats on this lake.  Recognizing how a party barge is properly equipped, I worked my way down to the dock for a hello and a little "yogi" work. 

The crew on the boat was a mixed bag and a little confusing.  Three of the boat mates looked like the typical party animals, beers in hand and in dockers, etc.  Two others smelled and looked alot like me.  Long story short, Scavenger (from Germany) and Amish were dutifully hiking the AT on the south side of the lake and thought it would be fun if they could do a little "aqua blazing".  They noted the party barge passing by and stuck out there thumb and got a ride.

I figured this group might have a few more beers so I started talking about what I missed more than anything else on the trail, a cold beer.  It took Jean about two seconds to hit the cooler and load up a bag full of everything they had left, which included beer, sodas and water.  Of course, I feigned that I couldn't take their last stash from the cooler as I was quickly reaching over the bow for the bag, thanking them and running up the hill to the shelter before they changed their mind (one lady was quite upset that Jean gave me the premium beer).

Great trail magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment