Saturday, July 16, 2011

My AT Journey Began in Vermont 6 Years Ago...

Over this past week and one-half I took the 145 mile track through Vermont, from Massachusetts, making my way into New Hampshire.  It was in Vermont, on the Long Trail with Paul Roebber, that planted a seed in my mind to take this 2,181 mile trek.  At that time I was a tired overweight executive thinking that my chances of having a heart attack on the six day backpacking trip from Stratton Mtn. to Rutland was pretty darn good.  But I thought I would give it a try and during the week with Paul I discovered what a thru-hiker was.

My first introduction to an AT thru-hiker was on that part of the trail in Vermont following the Long Trail (the oldest long distant trail in the country).  Paul and I did what we thought was a grueling 12 mile hike (by-passing Stratton Mtn.) up to my first shelter experience at Spruce Peak Shelter.  There I was introduced to the rough edges of shelter living (actually this is a pretty nice shelter) and several AT thru-hikers.  I was fasinated by this concept of hiking from Georgia to Maine; they were a pretty beat up group of hikers focused on getting food in their tank, finding their space in the shelter and checking out the shelter journal.  Listening to them talking as they read the shelter journal gave me a small hint of the importance of community on the trail.  The hikers were excited to read about how their buddies ahead of them were doing, where they were and to get the news up and down the trail.

It did not occur to me then that I would be following their same steps six years later.  While we weren't going to settle in to Spruce Peak Shelter, I just had to stop in to check it out.  The memories flooded in as I worked my way down the steep trail to the shelter.  I came across the fire ring that Paul and I sat around as we listened to the stories of the thru-hikers.  I sat on the porch of the shelter and had my picture taken, just as I had taken a picture of the thru-hikers that night.  I remembered how I thought the shelter was such a dump, but looking at it now I realized just how cool it was - four walls with a wood stove!  I ran down the hill to look at the area Paul and I pitched our tents for the first night - I remembered so clearly where I pitched my tent and the fire I made so I could have a hot breakfast in the morning.

This experience at Spruce Peak Shelter began memory lane for me over the next several days as I retraced my steps, recollecting the bridges over the rushing streams, the muddy and root-studded path, the swimming holes, the other shelters, Killington Mountain (we has a great view this time) and finally the Inn at the Long Trail where we met Paul's wife and kids picked us up (they couldn't stand our smell). This time, I ended up staying at the Inn as a seasoned thru-hiker on my way to the Whites, enjoying more than just a few great beers.

This little stretch has so many emotions for me not only because it retraces a beginning for me, but it also ties me to a good friend who got me on my way to good health through exercise, while he fights like a true champion to overcome some pretty significant odds back to good health. 

Love ya' Paul

1 comment:

  1. Hey Don

    Sorry I've been off on other things and haven't been back to your blog for a bit. You are just eating up the trail miles and I didn't think you'd already have come and gone through the Long Trail. I remember those days very well (especially the water - delicious and satisfying!) and while I still much prefer canoe camping, I would not trade those days for anything. I regret that I can't do that kind of thing right now, but I am glad you are getting so much out of the experience and am pleased that I played a role (in your mind, if not in reality) in getting you going.

    I'm doing fine on this end, and Flint has been doing his best to keep me moving!

    Sweating back in WI, your good friend Paul.

    ReplyDelete