Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Crankdaddy's Fatherly Protective Instincts Kick In On the Trail

After a very challenging hike into Madison Hut Crankdaddy, Tree Top, Rocket Rick and Firefly were told "there was no room at the Inn" for thru-hikers and were encouraged to move on. Options extremely limited, we made our way down a steep, rocky and rugged off trail to a primitive tenting area.

Beatup pretty bad, we setup our tents in a very narrow space along the trail, made up a quick cold meal and hit the sack. Soundly asleep with Tree Top snoozing next to me I was awakened by the deep panting sound of an animal directly at the head of my tent.

Instincts kick in within my slumber state as I jump up, grab Tree Top and push him down to the bottom of the tent away from the four legged beast I see in the dark at the front of my tent. Having done my paternal duty of protecting my son from the wild beast I do what any thru-hiker would do - bark like a wild and raging dog...which triggered a response from a woman hiker letting me know that it's only her dog wanting to make a new friend on their way to their campsite.

A bit embarrassed after waking everybody up I figured I have my barking skills down if I ever come across a real beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment