Thursday, April 14, 2011

People's Paradise!

Bob Peoples is a legend on the trail. He operates Kincora, a hiker hostel that you can stay at for a donation of your choosing. Carolyn did not want me to stay there because a friend of Bird's had experienced bed bugs last year.

While the place clearing needs a "women's touch", there were no other alternatives (yes, I checked around for bed bugs). The great benefit of staying at Kincora was to meet this true legend of the trail. Bob is a retired military man, is about 70 and is as strong as a horse. He maintains about 135 miles of the trail and does a wonderful job. He is out there every day clearing fallen tries, moving boulders, building stone steps, saving hikers. You name it, he's done it.

The trail is full of "Peoplesisms" such as "Bob Peoples loaned out his ax to Paul Bunyan", "Bob Peoples gives his boots blisters", etc. This guy with a full pack can hike casually at a pace of almost 4 miles per hour. And he is the kindest man you could ever meet. I was short of fuel and he gave me a free cannister. He drove us into town to resupply and have dinner. While his place was far from clean, it had a lot of character and his showers, bathrooms and bunkhouse was there for whatever the price was that you wanted to pay.

You can probably tell, it's the people thus far that are making this a very interesting trip for me.

1 comment:

  1. The bears hang Bob Peoples bear bags for him! Glad to hear there are no bed bugs at Kincora. Bob has an awesome thing going there and I would hate to see it ruined. Bed Bugs were my only disaster on the trail(the disaster was really at home, I was so bit up by other things I did not notice) just wanted to give you a heads up.

    ReplyDelete