Thursday, April 14, 2011

18 Thru-Hikers in a Van on a Rainy and Stormy Night - We're All Going to Die!

During my last zero I stayed in Erwin and decided to stay away from Uncle Johnny's because it was hard to tell whether the bunkhouse floor was wood or mud. However, it didn't preclude me from taking advantage of their wonderful shuttle service to beautiful downtown Erwin to catch a meal at a Mexican joint. Turns out I felt like I was doing a little border crossing manuever myself on the way back as about 18 of us piled into an old beat up van back to Uncle Johnny's in a driving rainstorm. The driver is from TN (you know what I mean) and likely had a good liquid dinner before the drive. I was the last in and was crouched between the door and one of the bench seats; behind me a few others were crammed into a similar position around the wheel well that no longer existed (as water was spraying up their butts). I am glad that all the windows were fogged up because I really did not want to see how we were going to die. Driver wiped his side of the windshield just enough to get a peak at the road as we were sliding down the windy highway at about 70 MPH.

Made it back alive...but was thinking of the Mexican meal I had and did everything I could to keep it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment