Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm Committed!

Yikes! Looks like all systems are go to have a run at the A/T! Carolyn has reluctantly give the thumbs up and my schedule doesn't seem to suggest that it will get in the way. Have started to do some research research and am quickly discovering how much of a challenge this will be for this 58 year old body. Initial plans are to head out in mid-March...discovering that I should expect a great deal of snow, wind, rain and flat out lousy weather. What a way to start a journey!

Purchased second pair of boots and new shell today; new tent yesterday. Plan to try out equipment in early February when Carolyn is off visiting her mom. Should be a good test weather wise considering time of year in Wisconsin.

Also have revised my typical list of backpacking items in an attempt to get total packed weight down to 35 pounds. Down from 48 to 36 so far; planning to use Ben's Osprey 65 rather than my Gregory Palisade. Will stick with my REI down sleeping bag with a liner - hoping cold and wet won't be a problem. Eager to check out my new Squall 2 tent...light at 34 ounces and water and wind tight (I hope). Am going into this assuming that I have first 60 days of snow and rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment