Friday, January 21, 2011

Got My Tarptent!

My tent arrived on the 21st just as planned! It came in a long rectagular box that looked like it had a poster in it...it was that light too! Opened it up and spread the tent out on the livingroom floor. Only problem is that this tent is not free-standing so I couldn't get a sense as to how it will work without staking it down. Couldn't do that in the livingroom! Seems pretty good but I am surprised at how light it is.

Also, completely changed my thinking on the shell jacket. Went back to REI after reading the raging debate between Gortex and Event. Concluded that Event was the way to go...went to REI to exchange my Arc'teryx only to be persuaded to purchase a cheaper Marmot rainshell, coupled with a really warm and light weight puffy synthetic liner. Gives me more options for a little less price. Have been wearing the combo and I think this will be the ticket.

Also, continue to do research on stoves and tested out my MSR Pocket Rocket against Ben's Whisperlite. Pocket Rocket seems to be so much easier and quicker. Did a bunch of research and am now steering to sticking with what has served me so well in the past - the PR with canisters.

Started thinking about my sleeping pad as well. Thermarest has a new pad called NeoAir. Weighs 14oz compared to my current Thermarest at 1lb 10oz. Can make a big difference and the NeoAir is 2-1/2 inches thick! It's gotten mostly good reviews but seems to leak easily. Purchased one online and will test out in my shakeout overnight in the Kettle Moraine in mid-February.

Making progress....I guess....

No comments:

Post a Comment